If you work in an office environment, you know that office supplies go quickly! No matter how much you stock up, you always seem to run out of printer paper and ink, pens, post-its, and other office essentials that are needed to keep your office running smoothly and productively. While necessary, office supplies can get quite expensive if you aren’t careful and if you don’t plan wisely! Here are 5 ways you can cut costs on your workplace office supplies to save money and work more efficiently.
- Limit ordering supplies to one time per month. Ask that employees keep track of the items they need by filling out a supply request form in advance. They should be proactive and do this before the run out of a certain supply. Then, when you go to order supplies each month, you will know exactly what everyone needs and you won’t have to constantly call in orders. This will also help reduce spending since it is hard to keep track of supply costs when you are placing multiple orders in a month.
- Order office supplies online. As a business, you will likely buy in bulk and most online stores offer free shipping for orders of $50. Free shipping helps you to cut back on costs and saves time instead of physically going to a store to pick up items.
- Always use generic products or the least expensive type of an office supply available on the market. Often employees will request a brand name or more expensive item and usually the additional cost doesn’t provide you with any added benefit. If you are buying from Office Max, for example, don’t buy the Post-It brand sticky notes. Instead, buy the Office Max in-store brand since it will probably be much cheaper for you. Explain this policy to employees ahead of time so that they are not disappointed or frustrated when they do not get exactly what they want.
- Do not allow employees to order personal items and say that they will “pay you back later” or “reimburse the company” afterwards. Usually this reimbursement never comes and you will have to hunt down the employee for the money. If you are not the boss or owner, make sure to clear any personal requests with a supervisor first so that you don’t get reprimanded.
- Order supplies that are used all the time in bulk. This can save you a significant amount of money every year. These things include items like printer paper, paperclips, staples, binder clips and more. Ordering in bulk ensures that you will at least have enough of your supplies to get your office through the month. Plus, you can never have enough of these items. Even if you over-order for that month, these supplies will indeed be used eventually and are never a waste to have handy.
While supplies can be a huge portion of an office’s regular operations, you can cut back on spending to be more efficient and reduce waste. Whether you order from CMS magnetics or Office Depot, these tips will help your business thrive and cut back on excessive spending.