One of the biggest expenses for new businesses and established businesses alike is office supply costs. Indeed, you could be spending an exorbitant amount of money for things like pens, pencils and paperclips. The truth of the matter is that you don’t have to. Indeed, you can actually save a lot of money on office supplies by getting creative and resourceful. What you have to realize is that office supplies are something that your business will constantly need, so you may want to have a stock supply. If you fit this supply into your initial operating budget, it will be a lot easier to afford. Moreover, you have to create a culture of conservation – many businesses don’t have this culture and become wasteful, which can be a strain on your expenses and your company’s coffers. Here are five ways to save money on office supplies.
- Buy in bulk – indeed, if you purchase in bulk, the overall cost will be lower and you won’t have to constantly purchase new supplies. There are many locations and retail operations, like GlassWhiteboard.com that have bulk supplies. If you fit these supplies into your yearly budget, you won’t have to worry about these costs until the next fiscal year.
- Make sure that you have rations – it is important that you only allow your staff a certain number of office supplies. If you create an open tab for office supplies, you will start noticing that more and more of these items will be taken out of the storeroom. Indeed, when you have rations, you can allow your employees to use the supplies they need without overdoing it. Of course, you want to make sure that your employees have enough supplies, but you also want to make sure that they don’t have a surplus.
- Create a culture for saving and conservation – the more your employees hold on to these items, the less supplies you will have to purchase in the long run and the less money your business will have to spend. If you are a small business with a tight budget, you don’t want your employees to waste pens and pencils. For instance, you want to train your employees to use one pen until the ink goes out – then they can use a new pen.
- Put a lock on your supply cabinet – one of the biggest reasons why office supplies are so expensive is because people steal them. If you have a large business, you may want to protect your office supplies, and your employees, from taking these supplies. It can be pretty tempting when you have a whole storeroom full of pens, pencils, paper and more.
- Buy wholesale – if you are a small business, you may want to purchase your supplies on the wholesale dollar. Overall, this will translate to huge savings. When it comes down to it, you will need a buyer’s permit or seller’s license, but it is not hard to get one. In the end, you will have to pay a little extra on taxes, but it will be more than worth it.